Mungofitch has left the building

Yeah, this is a horrible feeling. I hope Jim finds a way agreeable to him to stay in touch with us all. He educated everyone on so much but he also entertained us, too. I loved all the Monaco anecdotes. It made me feel like I had a friend living there.

Best wishes to Jim and his family. Hope we run into you somewhere else sooner than later.

16 Likes

Wow! Iā€™m probably out of here too. I first signed up in1999. Had to go to to the old site to find that date.

Jim has been remarkable. The world is full of people paid to write about topics that they donā€™t understand 1/10 as well as he does. What a loss.

13 Likes

Wow, initially i thought itā€™s a joke, but I agree the new site is awful.

For people whoā€™s looking for Berkshire discussion, I spend a lot of time on ā€œCorner of Berkshire and Fairfax forum siteā€, Forums - Corner of Berkshire and Fairfax - The Value Investor's Haven

Maybe Mungofitch can join us there?

5 Likes

He will be missed!

sunrayman
mostly a Lurker

1 Like

Looks like Corner of BRK and Fairfax costs $49/yr if you want to participate. Not horrible if itā€™s heavily trafficked but too much if it keeps away some of the best posters. Why should Jim pay money to a site when he would be a major draw? They should be paying him.

5 Likes

Thank you Jim. I was in the investment management business for over two decades, and have only very rarely come across anyone remotely as knowledgeable and wise, who could communicate so clearly and graciously.

I followed you with pleasure for the greater part of my career. Your generous words have been a gift, and had a lasting impact on us all.

I hope youā€™ll find a way to visit from time-to-time.

• a very long time lurker
18 Likes

I think those believing TMF will restore the old boards are living in an alternate world. Companies arenā€™t going to revisit that issue barring lost of revenue which I doubt the boards provide much/any of.

Iā€™m not a fan of the new boards but it was obvious the old boards were dated and many had complaints of them for years. Unfortunately a lot of people do everything on their phones. Personally, while I have iphones, ipads, etc. I only use the phones as a last resort due to the small screen and much prefer a computer with a real keyboard.

Somewhere along my life I realized that you need to enjoy the good times because they never last, life has a way of whacking you in the head with a 2x4.

I agree with most here that Jim was an invaluable resource and most of us learned a lot from him. The BRK board was of value largely due to him, and similarly a lot of the best content on the mechanical investing was from his insights and critiques of posts.

In these turbulent investing times, it would have been great to have him around but like everything in life, life continues onward, good or bad, it will continue onward.

16 Likes

And you have to read it in threaded modeā€¦the horror!

1 Like

I read Corner of BRK & Fairfax in unthreaded mode - All Activity - Corner of Berkshire and Fairfax - The Value Investor's Haven

4 Likes

So sad, he was a valued contributor on so many boards here at the fool. did they make a foolish mistake one must wonder. Its not intuitive so far to navigate the site and the boards. i canā€™t find the boards I have followed some since 1997ā€¦doc

1 Like

Itā€™s a small fee to site owner (a Berkshire fan like us) for up keeping the site.

Not as good as this site of course , but I found many here also post there.

2 Likes

Ah! Didnā€™t see that feature. Is there a way to read a particular board in unthreaded mode?

Particularly:
Berkshire Hathaway - Corner of Berkshire and Fairfax - The Value Investorā€™s Haven (thecobf.com)

Jim doesnā€™t have to pay anything. Iā€™ll gladly pay $98/year for both of us. If anyone is in contact with him please let him know his money is no good, he just needs to express an interest, and weā€™ll handle it.

Rob

13 Likes

Agree! If any of you remember MazonCreekRich, aka ADrumlinDaisy, et al, he had a wonderful post on this topic, after being surprised by the shuttering of one of the services he enjoyed.

I would link to the post if I could, but canā€™t find it at the moment, so this will have to do.

Rob

3 Likes

I read on the corner of boards. I always shake my head at their business model whenever I read something wrong, or that I have insight on that I cannot correct. I canā€™t see paying so much to share my thoughts there, and I donā€™t mind the advertisements when Iā€™m looking at othersā€™ thoughts.

Iā€™m surprised at Mungofitchā€™s decision. I always thought he did most of the work keeping up spreadsheets and being on top of Berkshire stuff for the benefit of his own investment anyway. I suppose I assumed he was just a very good writer, but he probably did spend significant time editing his posts for exactly what he wanted to convey.

3 Likes

I clicked on the ā€œwww.mungofitch.comā€ link and get only one page with a graphic and one line, with no hotspots?! Does anyone else get anything more than this?

Perhaps, Jim, you will try a newsletter, like rationalwalk did, on your own time and preferences. Itā€™s hard to say goodbye for good after so many years, and so much civil and generous discourse. Your example as well as your wisdom will be missed. I hope you consider touching base from time to time. I, for one, would be most happy to see you, again.

Best wishes,
ā€“Elizabeth

9 Likes

Patience! The man did enough already: He was just informed that this domain is available and had to grab it. Naturally itā€™s empty right now.

3 Likes

That is very generous of you, Rob. I hope Jim takes you up on your offer. But I have a feeling he would never allow it. Heā€™s been such a mensch. But damn, Iā€™m going to miss him.

Is there a way to send private messages to other board members? Iuckily I had some old mails from Jim but I would like to contact some other board members as well.

2 Likes

No private messages allowed. TMF lawyers felt it was a liability