NDTV on losses

New Delhi TV on Russian losses in Ukraine.

Russia is taking a good pounding. This will get a lost worse till the Russian public destroys Putin’s life. The last czar is history repeating its self.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/ukrainian-minister-says-russ…

Russia is taking a good pounding.

The Ukrainian Minister being quoted could be the latest iteration of “Baghdad Bob”.

Some have pointed out that, while the Russians are better trained and equipped than they were a dozen years ago, many of the Ukrainian troops are combat vets, courtesy of the civil war that Russia had enabled for eight years.

At the end of the day, Putin has more young men than Zelensky has, and Putin’s army is funded by the oil and gas being sold to western Europe.

Steve

1 Like

At the end of the day, Putin has more young men than Zelensky has, and Putin’s army is funded by the oil and gas being sold to western Europe.

Steve,

Heard an expert on NPR a few nights ago, she was saying Putin needs 400k to 500k men to hold Ukraine.

Not all sure that Ukraine does not have more young men in the theater. The population up in arms is larger than Putin’s 200k men.

The oil money is skimmed first and foremost.

Heard an expert on NPR a few nights ago, she was saying Putin needs 400k to 500k men to hold Ukraine.

Yes, I have heard that same analysis. He can overthrow the government with 150K, but need half a million to hold the country. We had half a million guys in Nam. Locally recruited Ukrainians to enforce Russian rule would probably be as reliable as the ARVN, or the army we “stood up” in Afghanistan.

Steve

Yes, I have heard that same analysis. He can overthrow the government with 150K, but need half a million to hold the country. We had half a million guys in Nam. Locally recruited Ukrainians to enforce Russian rule would probably be as reliable as the ARVN, or the army we “stood up” in Afghanistan.

I’ve seen some videos on social media showing Ukrainians preparing to meet the Russians. They are building blockades out of tires and sand bags and welding tank obstacles out of I-beams. Even older men and women have signed up for the military and are carrying Kalashnikovs. Elsewhere, volunteers are preparing Molotov cocktails in huge numbers.

Russia has a much larger and better equipped military than Ukraine. But tanks are poor urban combat vehicles. If it comes down to street-to-street fighting, which I believe it will, then Russia’s advantage will not be nearly so great.

2 Likes