Need for a new board????

I think there might be a need for another board, one that analyzes companies like PVTL that are growing in the 20 to 30% range… Plenty of companies that don’t meet the criteria of this board like ANET and TLND, but still worth looking at and possibly investing in. I’m not sure SQ even fits on this board any longer. …Seems like people want to talk about these companies enough to bring them to the attention of this board even though they don’t fit Sauls criteria.

Chris, wake up! No one has ever, ever, EVER, complained about a discussion of companies like Pivotal or Arista, or Talend on our board. 20% to 30% growth is “high” growth. We’ve just been able to find some companies growing even faster, that we prefer to invest in.

And Square? It’s growing at 64% last quarter, and as far as I know, MOST people on our board have positions in Square, including me.

Saul

PS - However if you want to start a new board, just hit the “Start a New Board” button at the top of the page

36 Likes

“Chris, wake up! No one has ever, ever, EVER, complained about a discussion of companies like Pivotal or Arista, or Talend “

Saul,
Sometimes you get pretty worked up over something that there is no reason to get worked up over.

It was a suggestion as I’ve noticed that there are quite a lot of companies this board passes on that might work for other portfolios.

You talk all the time about keeping to 10 to 12 stocks in your portfolio. Well that leaves out a lot of other companies does it not?

Every time I see a company presented here that is growing at 20%, thst company doesn’t fit into the criteria correct?

Not sure why you have to shout (EVER) as though I’ve insulted you and the board because I make a suggestion.

I have to tell you that sometimes I find people on here are treated pretty unfairly for simply posting and suggesting something or asking something.

People should treat others the way they expect to be treated.

Chris

64 Likes

Every time I see a company presented here that is growing at 20%, that company doesn’t fit into the criteria correct?

Chris, Regardless of 10-12 stocks (Saul has said not more than 20 to be clear), Saul is saying you CAN post those here. Please do!

Also, at the risk of this convo potentially going south and people taking things the wrong way, I’d suggest we end this thread and move onto talking growth.

Thanks all for our incredible board ---- I’m very very grateful for having all of you be part of this…and learning from you all. As I often say, this is the best source of info in retail investing!

Best,

Jay

6 Likes

Agreed Jay.

I’ve learned a lot from this board. I’ll just keep reading it though and stay on the shoreline so to speak, same way I do on the NPI board. Safer that way. :wink:

All the best.
Chris

2 Likes

You talk all the time about keeping to 10 to 12 stocks in your portfolio. Well that leaves out a lot of other companies does it not?

Maybe that’s the misunderstanding. Maybe you thought that this board is only for discussing the ten stocks in my portfolio. However a cursory glance at the discussions would show that that isn’t the case. The board is for the discussion of high growth companies, and a quick glance at the recent posts will show that the vast majority of them are NOT about stocks in my portfolio (sorry, I know you hate those capital letters), for example the discussions on Pivotal, YEXT, Shopify, Pager Duty, etc.

We really welcome the discussion of new and different companies, and re-discussion of old companies. That’s how we find new ideas for investment. It really works very well for all of us. Sorry that you felt that discussion of stocks outside my current portfolio wasn’t welcome, but I really don’t know how you got that that idea.

Best,

Saul

26 Likes

Saul,
Misunderstanding all around.

I didn’t think it was only about the stocks you own, in fact I think the board is obviously bigger then any one person. There are many gifted people on here giving amazing analysis and advice.

I was noticing a pattern that growth stocks in the say 20 to 25% range weren’t the type of investments this board was getting excited about, and investing in. As opposed to when someone posts about a gem of a company growing at 40% or more, then there is a stock worth analyzing further on this board by the incredibly knowledgeable people that contribute to the board. Not you per say, this wasn’t about you, I am referring to the board at large.

My original post was simply suggesting that maybe all these second tier growers in the 20 to 25% range might be better served having their own home. Nothing negative. No diss to this board. Nada.

Bad suggestion? Very possible.

Hit a nerve? I’m still not sure why.

My mistake on the SQ growth as well. My memory served me poorly as I thought I remembered thst SQs growth decelerated quite a lot end of last year.

Chris

14 Likes

Chris, please let us know when you start your new board. Many of us would be delighted to support your effort.

There is always space for discussion of new ideas. They are welcome.

4 Likes

Pivotal was once front and center on this board. Then Pivotal proved unable to add but a handful of companies a quarter and crashed. As did almost all of the “growth at reasonable value” stocks that crash during good markets and rise less fast from bad markets.

The facts are pretty profound. What has not been done is for someone Tom explain why one should prefer a Talend or a Pivotal over an OKTA or Mongo or a Zscaler as examples.

Please let us know why Pivotal should be a preferred investment? Is that not the goal of the board, to best invest?

Instead of complaining perhaps first illuminate us w why Pivotal vs alternatives!

At such point you may reattract interest.

Tinker

13 Likes

Boards have a way of evolving. Even if there is no ban on stocks growing at “only” 20%, if board members are not interested, they will not get good discussions. About half my portfolio are stocks that I expect will grow at “only” 20%. I posted about one of them at NPI and the reception it got was dismal. One poster said, “Who needs a company that grows revenue at only 15%?”

The quest for such a board has merit and I do believe that if someone wants one bad enough, he should start it himself.

Denny Schlesinger

3 Likes

“Who needs a company that grows revenue at only 15%?”

I bought the shares of this “slow grower” six months ago. In six month the shares are up 11.6% plus I made about 7.4% from covered calls. Annualized that’s over 38% for this “who needs it” stock. :innocent:

But Tinker did ask a good question, “Why buy such a stock, why not the fastest growing ones?” Sector diversification! It’s not a good idea to put all your eggs in the high tech basket. It’s very difficult to find growth over 20% outside high tech.

Denny Schlesinger

7 Likes

I bought the shares of this “slow grower” six months ago. In six month the shares are up 11.6% plus I made about 7.4% from covered calls. Annualized that’s over 38% for this “who needs it” stock. :innocent:

It’s nice to know that I am not the only one invested in Mastercard… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

But Tinker did ask a good question, “Why buy such a stock, why not the fastest growing ones?” Sector diversification! It’s not a good idea to put all your eggs in the high tech basket. It’s very difficult to find growth over 20% outside high tech.

Sector risk is the main reason I’m moving slowly into these SaaS stocks (at least more slowly that others). They may grow to be a bigger percentage than anything else in my portfolio, but by doing that they will have proved themselves – and given me more confidence in the fairly young sector.

Thank you all for the great research, discussions, and opinions. I’m expecting to continue to slowly add to my positions.

Enjoy,
Brian

4 Likes

One goal of a new board would be to more thoroughly discuss companies which did not receive full discussion here … e.g., if they did not meet the growth goals. My perception is that the only companies which are minimally discussed here are micro-caps or other companies which are really not “investment quality” in the same sense as the rest of the companies discussed here. After lengthy discussion, some companies may become less “peak” in our attention, but there are many examples where promising companies which are not performing at the same level as our “favorites” still get quite a bit of “air time”.

Personally, if I were to suggest a new board to reduce the traffic here it would be a place to post the increasing numbers of monthly portfolios.

12 Likes

Another answer is “security”. Companies that have been around for years and years may be slower growers but they probably won’t go belly up very soon either.

I’ll take 6% annual growth for 6-8 years over a company with 11% annual growth for 3 years that then goes belly up.

Just my way.

Rich (haywool)

5 Likes

“ goal of a new board would be to more thoroughly discuss companies which did not receive full discussion here … e.g., if they did not meet the growth goals”

Well this was my point only, not a slam of Saul, or this board at all.

I was thinking more along the lines of a place for all the stocks that don’t quite measure up on this board, a place where the conversation can continue for those that still hold NTNX or TLND for example, so not to clutter this board up.

It could even be a second board called “Sauls 2nd Tier Stocks”. Dedicated to the stocks that might be considered in the minors for now, prove themselves and hey they may even move back into the main Saul board.

All I was suggesting as an idea.

Thanks to those on here that are civil and willing to discuss.

Chris

7 Likes

First – Thanks so much to Saul and all regular contributors here. Lurking and following the recs for almost 2 years now, I owe you so much for what I have learned and accomplished.

As for the new board question:

I got a little taste of glory with the dalliance this board had with KITE and JUNO last year, as well as NKTR.

I think a lot of others made money on FMI brought to this board.

These were ‘binary event’ stocks related to drug approvals or corporate buyouts and I feel like they are generally discouraged to bring up similar things or I at least wouldn’t bring something like that up here unless I had deeply, deeply researched it.

Lately I’ve had a run of good luck with a marijuana stock VFF, mentioned briefly on here or NPI by quazulight which has had little/no earnings but reinventing their business around legal pot in Canada. Many of the MJ stocks with no earnings have done very well.

My greatest investing success was years back a few home runs with Hidden Gems recommendations so I think I have small cap investing in my blood.

I am interested in liquid biopsy stocks but I want to find a small cap in the field that can grow 10x… the 200 million stock growing to 2 billion before GH grows from 9 to 90 billion. Been following ANIX and now looking into OCX on that front.

These types of story stocks / swing trades are things I would love to be able to discuss a bit more freely with other Fools, and have been hesitant to bring up on this board especially when my research is thin and I just want sanity check from Fools on if the new trending stock on StockTwits (like TEUM up 200% YTD) is for real or scam pump.

If there is another board I vote to focus on / call it something like ‘Story Stocks’ or ‘Swinging for the Fences’.

I myself haven’t traded options but wouldn’t mind hearing some intelligent Saul-style investor suggestions on how to play their high growth stocks, story stocks, or swing trades with options.

In the meantime I do have to admit there are often great discussions and more interest in non-Saul stocks on New Paradigm Investing board so there is a place to post ‘OT’ if the personalities and politics that flare up over there don’t discourage you.

4 Likes

Hi all,

Maybe it’s time to take the discussion private? Or move it to a founding post on the ”new board”?

Chris, you have made your point, and there has been some interest. But can’t we close this now and return to growth stock talking?

3 Likes

One reason to buy companies growing at a slower pace is if their metrics like ROIC are very good. A high-growth company can squander its good fortune through giving away too many stock options, spending too much on acquisitions, having low employee morale, various inefficiencies, etc.

Okay, this is getting a bit silly. That’s 18 posts on a thread about setting up a new board to discuss companies which some feel are insufficiently appreciated on our board. If some people want to do so, go ahead, just hit the Start A New Board button above, but EMAIL EACH OTHER OFF-BOARD about it.

Setting up another board is not a subject to be filling up our board with on an extended thread. IT’S COMPLETELY OFF-TOPIC. Our board is for discussing individual growth stocks, not setting up new boards. PLEASE END THIS THREAD NOW.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Saul

15 Likes