Never saw the benefit of electic cars

…and I’m even more convinced now:

Electric cars will be banned from the roads in Switzerland if the current energy crisis worsens.

The Swiss government announced today, Friday, November 2, that it will ban electric cars from the country’s roads if the energy crisis worsens. In the event of Switzerland running out of energy this Winter, then ‘non-essential’ journeys using electric vehicles will be prohibited.

I’m sticking with my petrol 4*4 :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

It’s a little more nuanced than a full-stop ban.

I’m not a huge fan of the DailyMail, but the article details a ladder of actions in case of an energy crisis. The second level includes banning electric cars for non-essential travel. This excludes professional practice, food shopping, visiting the doctor, attending religious events, and attending court hearings. This level shortens shop hours by 2 hours per day.

B

3 Likes

Notice that officials are signaling to the oil refiners that their business is obsolete and being phased out.

Building a new oil refinery in the US will cost $1B, will take years to get permits, and may be obsolete before it processes barrel one.

In this situation expect business managers to resist investment in refineries. In fact they probably plan to shut down the least efficient as they become obsolete. They probably have a budget to keep the good ones running. Replace failing pumps, seals, etc. But they probably want a payout on that investment of under 10 years.

In my neighborhood diesel is about $2/gal more expensive than gasoline. They used to be similar. Diesel is very short and expensive in Europe. Some may be exported from the US due to strong pricing.

Electric vehicles are likely to become more attractive when filling your gas tank costs you $500. The handwriting is on the wall. That day is coming. In my lifetime, I don’t know. Maybe.

6 Likes

Which actually consumes MORE energy than an electric car.
The Swiss just have a possibility of a shortfall in electricity, but not petrol.

Mike

6 Likes

EVs were a lot more attractive before “market-driven” oil and LNG prices tripling drove utilities to raise electricity rates 70%.

It is WAY too early for governments to be mandating all fossil fuel shutdowns & production freezes without viable, reliable green sources in place. All they’re doing is making people poorer and the fossil fuel producers & shareholders even richer.

3 Likes

Borgney,

You saved me needing to click on the article to find the truth. But from the other responses some folks did not read your opinion so I am reiterating it.

3 Likes

Reminds me of an old idea, to have a man with a red flag walk in front of motor cars so as not to frighten the horses. :face_exhaling: :star_struck: :smiling_face:

The Captain

7 Likes

Someone taking a few pot shots at a sub-station has cut the power for days here - all those electric car owners will have to start walking:

2 Likes

Don’t gas pumps operate on electricity?

10 Likes

Why is it the petrol heads don’t realize that w/o electricity they cannot fill up their tanks? :smiley:

6 Likes

Must be the FFFF!

The Captain

Bj,

Regardless of their claims they are refusing to realize anything else. No surprise there.

I’m not sure if you are somehow gloating about a terrorist-type attack.
But besides the fact that gas station pumps need electricity, couldn’t someone with solar cells and a way to disconnect from the grid charge their EV… while gas cars run out of gas. Gas stations could have backup power, but I suspect that most do not.

Mike

6 Likes

I’m not gloating about anything, just pointing out the flaws with these vehicles. I recently went to see a friend about 90 miles or so away from where I live. The electric version of my car has a range of about 165 miles so I would have had to find a charging point and hung around for a while. As for fuel:

1 Like

I will wager that there is “electricity” somewhere in the chain where “Mobile Fuel” gets its fuel. And it would be amusing to see them try to supply 500,000 inhabitants of Moore County all at once.

3 Likes

There are numerous car companies working seriously on hydrogen powered vehicles. I read articles this morning about both Honda and Toyota building these vehicles. It’s an interesting concept because you can pump hydrogen faster than you can charge a car…doc

Toyota unveils hydrogen-powered pickup and SUV | Fox News

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, it seems that hydrogen is a Japanese project or priority which is the reason that Honda and Toyota are involved.

The Captain

1 Like

Hydrogen has some advantages. Easy to store. Works well with intermittent sources like solar or wind. Hazardous to handle. Usually requires heavy cylinders as compressed gas or very low temps for liquid.

Greater power potential for trucks, locomotives, and maybe airplanes.

3 Likes

Not so numerous…many companies have abandoned their hydrogen fuel cell projects.
In any case, making (clean/green) hydrogen requires more electricity than charging an EV for the same approximate miles.

Mike

3 Likes

Actually there is green hydrogen made from hydroelectric, solar and wind. Also hydrogen is more environmentally friendly than battery vehicles. Hydrogen doesn’t impact the grid like home charging. There are interesting benefits to both but I am pro hydrogen and against these battery vehicles personally. Respectfully…doc

3 Likes