New Horizons in School Discipline

… I don’t know. I bet this kind of product is a winner in at least half the school districts in Florida and Texas. And I’d wager the first use would be on students, not shooters.

Taser maker proposed shock drones for schools.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/06/06/taser-d…

The flying Taser drones would be pre-installed in school ceilings so an officer could launch one within seconds of a reported shooting, piloting it through special vents into locked classrooms, stunning the gunman with shock darts and shouting commands like, “Stay down or you will be hit again.”

That, at least, was the proposal that police-contracting giant Axon championed last week after the Uvalde school massacre. But the company has since halted the project following a mass resignation of its own advisers, who panned it as a crackpot dystopian fantasy that could militarize schools and get children hurt.

intercst

3 Likes

could launch one within seconds of a reported shooting, piloting it through special vents into locked classrooms, stunning the gunman with shock darts and shouting commands like, “Stay down or you will be hit again.”

You know, maybe USA’s best hope is that the rest of the world start making tragi-comic movies mocking this insanity. It IS insanity, just so we do not forget.

A much earlier shot at the same guns and violent insanity dominated theme, even Made in the USA!, was Feiffer’s Little Murders. Will worth watching again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Murders

david fb

1 Like

…a crackpot dystopian fantasy that could militarize schools and get children hurt.

Gee, I kind of like the idea. Probably more realistic than arming teachers and turning schools into bunkers, as some insist is the “solution”. We saw what happens to the “good guy with a gun” in Buffalo. Ever try to hit a small drone with a rifle?

Steve

1 Like

This country has let guns drive them stupid. We’ve suggested armored backpacks. Arming the teachers we don’t trust to teach kids but do trust them to shoot them. Now armed drones? But for some reason we simply can’t get rid of the weapons that allow someone to kill large numbers of people quickly. Weapons that have no use for sport, hunting, or self defense. Weapons designed purely for killing large numbers of people quickly.

Its maddening.

23 Likes

That, at least, was the proposal that police-contracting giant Axon championed last week after the Uvalde school massacre.

If you are going to put something in the classrooms, how about just cameras so the police can see what is going on inside?
This should in no way take away from other efforts on prevention, waiting periods, etc.

Mike

1 Like

If you are going to put something in the classrooms, how about just cameras so the police can see what is going on inside?

Schools are doing that. There was a piece on the news last week about the Millions individual school districts are spending on security systems, instead of education, so that some yahoo can walk into a gun store, buy an assault rifle and 500 rounds of ammo, unimpeded.

Steve