OT: Omcron

Up close and personal.

I have been on vacation since Christmas eve. Planning on returning home in 4 days on the 9th.

My trip has been a driving and staying with relatives trip. Traveled to Des Moines and spent almost a week with my eldest son and his family. My youngest drove in from Chicago for Christmas.

We left a little early for Texas to miss the winter storm and very rough weather that moved in between Iowa and Texas. We arrived in Texas on New Years eve. I was congested and had a slight headache. A Covid test was scheduled for the 2nd and a telemed session.

The telemed session resulted in a script on antibiotics and steroids. The Covid results came back in a little over 30 hours. Negative. The meds had instant results.

In Texas we are staying in a very rural southeast Texas area. We are on about 2 acres with a couple of mobile homes on a couple of acres. It is my Mother-in-laws place.

My sister - in - law and her 14 year old daughter are in the other mobile home.

My brother in law and his wife came up to the country the visit on the 2nd. We ate dinner and visited inside, (it was cold) for about 4 hours.

I tested the next day, came back negative the following day. Tuesday. On that same day my sister-in-laws daughter woke up feeling ill. An urgent care visit and a rapid test came back positive.

She was sent home with no meds and is being treated with alternate medicine. My sister-in-law also feels ill. Not tested. She assumes she is ill.

Note, None of my in-laws are vaccinated and both my my brother in law and sister in law have a form of muscular dystrophy. My sister in law needs a walker and braces to get around and my brother - in- law is so weak he cannot stand at counter and make his own plate of food. My mother in law has heart and liver problems.

My mother-in-law started feeling ill last night and will go to urgent care in a few hours.

This information has been passed to my mother, who will be 90 in 2 days as well as my little sister who was immune compromised by extensive cancer surgery a few years ago. My youngest son and my eldest brother. All if these people and myself and my wife are fully vaccinated and boosted with Moderna.

None have recommended I forgo the 90th birthday party were 70 or more people will be present.

This should be an interesting month.

Cheers
Qazulight

15 Likes

My best wishes for you and family.

The Captain

2 Likes

family members of mine that take b-50 only show fevers only when an entire group get it. make sure you take with food. might work for you. we have used it in the past to get over the flu quickly.

2 Likes

A young deputy DA in Orange County just died. She was anti vaccine. She was bs’ing people against government control. She may have killed other people with her ideas. She was a totally irresponsible voice. Last I knew a DA is a lawyer not a scientist or a doctor. She was a demagogue.

Qaz,

The only thing I will say is your 90 year old mother’s party can be canceled.

Just reading your account of the happenings worried me greatly.

3 Likes

"Note, None of my in-laws are vaccinated and both my my brother in law and sister in law have a form of muscular dystrophy. My sister in law needs a walker and braces to get around and my brother - in- law is so weak he cannot stand at counter and make his own plate of food. My mother in law has heart and liver problems.

My mother-in-law started feeling ill last night and will go to urgent care in a few hours.

This information has been passed to my mother, who will be 90 in 2 days as well as my little sister who was immune compromised by extensive cancer surgery a few years ago"

wow, I truly hope that the next month does not turn out as bad as it could potentially
be for your family ! No “thoughts and prayers” tripe, but definite empathy.

4 Likes

Qaz,

The only thing I will say is your 90 year old mother’s party can be canceled.

Just reading your account of the happenings worried me greatly.

My wife and I are in the hairy edge if pulling the trigger of a bug out. While we feel that it will not be out funeral, the numbers suggest there may be one before February 1.

Cheers
Qazulight

2 Likes

Bug out.

Promise a later personal visit because, after all, parties are too crowded and noisy to enjoy quality time together in peace.

Wendy (introvert advice)

6 Likes

Qaz,

Put your foot down and bug out. This is your mother.

My wife and I are in the hairy edge if pulling the trigger of a bug out. While we feel that it will not be out funeral, the numbers suggest there may be one before February 1.

And to make matters worse, due to the 5/6 week period between shots and full effect, those attending the eventual funeral will also be exposed further!

1 Like