OT....

…or not OT, that is the question.

Although I cannot find the quote, I recall Warren Buffett having once said that one’s skills and work ethic are the ultimate defense against rampant inflation. As long as you are the best caroenter, lawyer, baker, mechanic etc., in town you can trade or sell your services for value.

We found a handyman who actually showed up on time (a first since we moved to Staunton two years ago), and competently knocked off a list of chores I did not know how to do - broken storm door, cabinets, electric ceiling fan repair, automatic home vent cover repair, shower head replacement, bike and towel rack repair and installation - all in a couple of hours - charged $150 - we were delighted. He was delighted.

4 Likes

Being in hi-tech, specifically semiconductor in CPU and GPU design for 30+ years, I’ve lived with the threat of layoff that entire time. And every recruiter tells you the same thing: your job security is not the company you work for, but the skill set you have. And they are correct. That skillset might not save you at your current job, but will get you re-hired if/when you lose a job.

6 Likes

your job security is not the company you work for, but the skill set you have.

The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!

The Captain

1 Like

And every recruiter tells you the same thing: your job security is not the company you work for, but the skill set you have. And they are correct. That skillset might not save you at your current job, but will get you re-hired if/when you lose a job.

Yet most of the job search and career articles/books largely gloss over things like skills or know-how. Instead, they direct you to spend hours on idiotic soul-searching exercises, revising your resume to appeal to the resume-scanning bots, memorizing that 30-second elevator speech verbatim, and memorizing answers to “standard” questions.

I get the impression that the gurus who write all those articles and books were the incompetent dead wood who had to rely on politics and manipulation to stay afloat.

The dirty little secret of the world is that the people in the know are too busy to have time for publishing those job search and career articles and books. They’re too busy with real work. Any books and articles they’re writing are about their fields of expertise.

Thus, all those job search and career narratives and controlled by the incompetent idiots. It’s like science and medicine. The anti-vaccine kooks and the quacks get to control the narrative because the people in the know are too busy for TV appearances.

4 Likes

Can you ask your repair guy if he has a relative in NE Georgia who does repair work? I’m so envious…

—Linda

1 Like