Police-Mea Culpa

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/as-police-waited-childr…
Children inside a Texas elementary school begged the police to enter their classroom and save them, repeatedly calling 911, as a team of 19 officers waited in the corridor for an hour because a commander believed the situation had shifted from active shooter to a barricaded subject, a Texas law enforcement officer said Friday.

“Of course, it wasn’t the right decision.” Department of Public Safety Director Steven McCraw said at a news conference. “It was the wrong decision. Period.”

With 19 officers inside, McCraw said, there were "plenty of officers to do whatever needed to be done.” But the commander inside decided the team needed more equipment and officers to perform a tactical breach. He said the team did not move to take out the gunman until a full Border Patrol tactical unit arrived.

3 Likes

Texas Law Enforcement works about as well as the electric power grid.

intercst

8 Likes

Texas Law Enforcement works about as well as the electric power grid.

============================================================================

They love their big hats/boots/six shooters, and they love to drag women out of Planned Parenthood facilities. But when facing an active shooter they melt like a candle in the Texas sun.

Jaak

3 Likes

Wow - I don’t watch nor read news beyond headlines - I didn’t know this. They stayed OUT?

I can’t write what I want to write.

I’ll just say I’m glad- I don’t have certain skills.

Wow - I don’t watch nor read news beyond headlines - I didn’t know this. They stayed OUT?

I can’t write what I want to write.

There is still a lot we don’t know, but what we do know is that police are taught not to make more victims. There are conflicting reports, but one of the reports is that all the shooting was over within a few minutes. With the shooting over (apparently), the police waited until they have the proper equipment and teams in place such that they could breach the door with a high degree of success. Which makes sense based on normal police training. But if you need to place blame somewhere other than deranged individuals have access to weaponry, then blaming the police will have to do.

1 Like

Mebbe TX will follow through like FL did with Scot Peterson & put those uniformed slackers who cowered in the school hallway on TRIAL!

https://apnews.com/article/shootings-parkland-florida-school…

1 Like

…the police waited until they have the proper equipment and teams in place such that they could breach the door with a high degree of success.

Looking steadily worse for the local “thin, blue, line”.

Border Patrol Tactical Team Was Ordered to Hold Back Before Confronting the Gunman

When specially equipped federal immigration agents arrived at the elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, on Tuesday, the local police at the scene would not allow them to go after the gunman who had opened fire on students inside the school, according to two officials briefed on the situation.

https://news.yahoo.com/border-patrol-tactical-team-ordered-1…

Other reports I have seen said local PD was still trying to hold the Border Patrol back, nearly an hour after their arrival, when the Federals decided to ignore local PD and take charge of the situation.

Steve

2 Likes

There is still a lot we don’t know, but what we do know is that police are taught not to make more victims.

The newer training is to take the gunman out as quickly as possible so as to prevent more victims.

Here is a pretty good timeline via Heather Cox Richardson, a source I generally trust:

**The timeline for the Uvalde massacre is becoming clearer.**

**After shooting his grandmother in the face and taking her truck, the gunman got to Robb Elementary School at 11:28 Tuesday morning and started firing into the school windows. A police officer responded to a call about the shooter but drove by him, instead mistaking a teacher for the suspect. The gunman got into the school through a door that had been propped open, and began his rampage down a hallway, ending up at about 11:30 in two joined fourth-grade classrooms, 111 and 112, with students and two teachers.**

**He apparently closed and locked the door. He shot the teachers first, and then students.**

**Local police responded, and several ran into the school. Two were wounded slightly at the doorway when bullets came through it. By noon, there were 19 police officers in the school and many others outside. Parents were gathering, urging the officers to charge the shooter. Officers warned them not to interfere with an ongoing investigation, arresting at least one and pinning another to the ground.**

More: https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.com/p/may-27-2022?s=r

3 Likes

And now we have yet another timeline of the beginning of this incident.

While I have some respect for Heather, and more for Goofy, the bottom line is that we still don’t really know how the interactions between police and the gunman unfolded.

The consistent elements are that the grandmother was shot, the grandparent’s pickup truck was taken and then crashed near the school, and that the shooter entered through a rear door of the school.

What the police did is constantly changing.

This is both concerning and unsurprising. The consistent elements of the event are those for which there is clear physical evidence. Grandma is in the hospital. The wrecked truck is at the side of the road. Entering through the rear door either has multiple consistent witnesses or is the only possible path of entry. All of this is unsurprising.

What concerns me are the police actions. Who is talking about what the officers did? Are these witnesses to the event? If so, inconsistencies are expected. Witnesses almost always differ in some part of their recollection of an event like this. Every decent news reporter knows this, as does every professional investigator. So they should not be talking to the public about this until all witnesses have been interviewed and the differences in their accounts of the event can be identified and investigated further.

We also need to hear from the actual officers involved. I would not expect them to have talked to anyone in the media. Senior officers on the scene and official investigators will likely remind the officers involved that they should not talk to the media. So I really doubt their accounts and reports have been included in any of the reporting so far.

But what concerns me is that people who should know better are relaying this partial information - which, IMHO, is nothing more than unsubstantiated rumor. It’s one thing for a reporter to report on witnesses’ accounts. Those are normally clearly identified as the account of a witness and are ideally delivered via video or audio interviews, not the reporter’s summary.

Even worse, public officials who should know better are spreading these unvetted accounts. Governor Abbott has already been publicly embarrassed by repeating what he’s heard. I have no problem with him receiving briefings on what is believed to be known so far, but he should not be repeating those briefings until the facts are verified. But he’s a politician - although a high level one who should be able to shut his trap after a confidential briefing. I’m more concerned about the DPS folks who are giving out this information in press conferences. They are displaying an amazing amount of ineptitude in this event.

I also have another potential concern. The local police are already coming under fire for their handling of this situation. That means there is some pressure on the individual officers to put their actions into the best light possible. I don’t want to accuse any of them of anything at this point. I just want to recognize the external pressures that exist. My hope is that they would tell the truth about their actions and refuse to participate in any whitewashing or more nefarious cover up.

I would also trust that investigators have already interviewed the officers on the scene and that the officers have filed the appropriate written reports of their actions that day.

The only thing I’m sure of at this point is that this event is going to become a case study for many future students of political science, journalism, police academies, and probably some others in how to handle (or really, how NOT to handle) information reporting and dissemination after a significant newsworthy event.

–Peter

1 Like

What concerns me are the police actions. Who is talking about what the officers did? Are these witnesses to the event?
Only the police were inside the hallway outside the room the shooter was in. So only police officers were witnesses.

That means there is some pressure on the individual officers to put their actions into the best light possible. I don’t want to accuse any of them of anything at this point. I just want to recognize the external pressures that exist. My hope is that they would tell the truth about their actions and refuse to participate in any whitewashing or more nefarious cover up.

Fat chance! They know what criminal charges have been made against Scott Peterson in the Parkland shooting. The ranks will close. However the police foot soldiers can place the blame on the superior officer that ordered them NOT to breach the room if such an order was made.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/20/us/parkland-shooting-scot-pet…

1 Like

There are conflicting reports, but one of the reports is that all the shooting was over within a few minutes.

Clearly not the case from the 911 calls.

Not to mention that, with that sort of weapon, anyone who had been shot and was still alive needed medical attention immediately.

1 Like