Quicken Changing Names

I need some help with Quicken and Wells Fargo. Since the Fool in it’s wisdom decided to close down the Quicken Support board I chose this board because it has the most postings. Also this is Living Below Your Means because otherwise I would have to hire an accountant to keep track of my checkbook and I hear accountants are expensive. Anyway here’s my problem. My wife uses Wells Fargo Bill Pay (or whatever they call it) to pay all sorts of invoices. Within the last month or so Wells Fargo has gotten into the habit of changing names on payees causing a mess in Quicken. For example we have a Fidelity credit card. It used to be called Elan Financial Services. Now for some reason they want to be called Usbank Services. They’ve changed the names on some of our other utilities as well. These name changes are making a mess of Quicken.

Any idea what’s going on? Perhaps they are hiring Summer interns. Who knows.

Regards,

ImAGolfer

Try Q Help search on how to create a rename rule for ID-ing the vendor/biller. Help doesn’t have a link to their file instructions or even copy/paste function. Just search for Rename in Help.

This is another reason I don’t D/L transactions in Q, always seem to create issues of some kind.

3 Likes

“These name changes are making a mess of Quicken.”

In older versions of Quicken there is a way to change the name of payees - but the history
will only show the new name.

Howie52
Like most older folks, we are flexible but our memory is limited. However, we tend to remember the oldest names.

3 Likes

ImAGolfer: “Anyway here’s my problem. My wife uses Wells Fargo Bill Pay (or whatever they call it) to pay all sorts of invoices. Within the last month or so Wells Fargo has gotten into the habit of changing names on payees causing a mess in Quicken. For example we have a Fidelity credit card. It used to be called Elan Financial Services. Now for some reason they want to be called Usbank Services. They’ve changed the names on some of our other utilities as well. These name changes are making a mess of Quicken.”

Are you certain that the underlying creditor has not merged/changed its name?

Are the payments getting to the correct payee? i.e., are you avoiding late charges?

For example, the local small-town bank that issued my first credit card, is in my mind, still “Hometown” Mastercard but that bank merged into another and the credit card operations were sold, and then sold by the first buyer. The actual payee is now Y Bank even though I still call it Hometown MC.

Regards, JAFO