Sold Arcam and out of 3D printing stocks

After earnings I sold my Arcam, and now am out of all the 3D printing stocks. I made good profits on DDD and large profits on SSYS and huge profits on Arcam (Bought at $15 pre-split and sold at about $176 pre-split. That is, I sold half of my position at $196, then the rest at $156 pre-split or $39 post split).

XONE I only had a few days, once I realized that it was a money losing company, I sold it back.

I sold out of each of them because I thought the price and PE was way too high for the rate of growth.

Arcam I sold out of because their yearly revenue was up less than 10%, their yearly earnings were down from 16 cents to 15 cents (US), and at $40 per share, much as I love what the company is doing and its prospects, that’s ridiculous (selling at over 250 times earnings).

Please note, this is just what I did. It doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do, or that 3D companies won’t do great. It’s just what I felt comfortable with.

Saul

12 Likes

now am out of all the 3D printing stocks

Thanks for the update, Saul. I exited 3D printing stocks as well a little while back (probably a bit too early) as I’m just not sure yet who stands to really profit from the trend. Long-term, I’m not convinced the printer manufacturers are where the money is at, though I may very well be wrong.

Will you be adding that capital to existing positions (you’ve mentioned that you got back into AFOP), or do you have your eye on something new?

Neil

Will you be adding that capital to existing positions (you’ve mentioned that you got back into AFOP), or do you have your eye on something new?

Neil

I added small amounts to my positions in UBNT, SCTY, Z, and DPZ (a slower grower). I took a starter position in LOCK (a MF RB selection), and in two little biotechs (GALE and APPY). I had sold out of INVN after the very disappointing earnings but I took a small position back after they settled their lawsuit with STM. And I still have plenty of cash available in case something comes along (4-5% in cash which is a lot for me). I’ve also been continuing to reduce my position in LNKD for the same reason that I got out of the 3D high flyers.

Hope this helps.

Saul

Did the same. I am sticking with ssys and Ddd but decided to take the profits out of arcam.

Used some of it to start a position in TWTR. Will also be adding to INVN SCTY and AMBA.

Saul,

I couldn’t remember what, if anything, you thought about PRLB. Did you ever own it and/or do you consider this a “3D printing” stock?

Thanks,
Pete

Neil, I forgot to mention that early last week I also added quite small amounts to AMBA when it was down due to a short attack, and to WETF when it was down for no reason I could tell.

Saul

1 Like

I couldn’t remember what, if anything, you thought about PRLB. Did you ever own it and/or do you consider this a “3D printing” stock?

I owned it for quite a long time (over a year anyway, which means it was way up from when I bought it). Sold it last fall because I thought it was becoming a slow grower while it still had a high PE. I did not consider it to be a 3D printing stock.

Saul

Saul:

(4-5% in cash which is a lot for me).

Is your having 4 to 5 % in cash more than your usual allowance…or…is it just a lot of cash…I suspect it’s both…lol

Your friend

Nick (floridafool6)

It’s more than my usual because of selling out of Arcam, and reducing my position in LNKD, etc. I usually have 1-3% at most.

Saul

What would make u get back more heavily into LNKD?

1 Like

I’m Johnny-come-lately to WETF and DDD(3-D printing in general). I followed some advice here and bought these 2 on the dips recently. (Already sold the DDD via call because of unexpected price climb)… Thanks Saul and others for your sage advice.
-John

Saul,

I am not an investor in Arcam, but it is a thinly traded security at about 50k shares per day. Looking at the large drop today, I think it may be possible that you moved the market. Curious if any other Arcam holders sold on this post.

Just an observation.

Looking at the large drop today, I think it may be possible that you moved the market.

Wow, down $4.10. Well I’ve been out for a week or so, so it wasn’t my sales, but if it was my posting on this board that I had gotten out that moved the market we have a very powerful board here!

Saul

4 Likes

What would make u get back more heavily into LNKD?

I’m just not happy with stocks selling at huge PE’s and having large PEG’s. With Z, I can at least get a grasp of what they are doing, bulking up, grabbing market share by advertising, getting control of their market, and I can see the growth rates at over 50% in most categories. LNKD I just wasn’t happy with, so I sold out my little position. It doesn’t mean it won’t do well, just that it will do well, if it does, without me.

Best,

Saul

1 Like