TracyK's portfolio results through June, 201

My portfolio results through June 30, 2017:

YTD +15.6%

Top 10 holdings (represents 57.7% of my total portfolio)
NFLX - 19.1%
CASH - 7.4%
BRK-B - 6.9%
AAPL - 6.6%
GOOG/L- 5%
SWKS - 3.4%
MFA - 3.1%
MELI - 2.2%
VEEV - 2.1% (broke into the top 10 for the first time)
COST - 1.9%

Top 10 in terms of YTD % growth
SHOP - 71.%
VEEV - 50%
PAYC - 48%
XPO - 44%
ATVI - 43%
NVDA - 42%
SVXY - 36.8%
ABMD - 35%
MA - 34%
ELLI - 32%

Actions taken: sold EBIX. Why? I needed the cash, and it isn’t covered in any of TMF services.

Interesting note - Last month, I added SKX and Saul asked why. I had read a piece written my Tom Engle, and I decided to buy a small stake so I would more closely follow the stock. It’s up 16%

What I’ve learned: I seem do well with my more recent additions (see top 10 growth stocks). However, I’m reluctant to sell some of my longtime holdings, and that drags down my overall results. I suppose that I don’t have to exit them entirely (NFLX, AAPL, BRK-B, COST, BWLD, etc)…I can’t seem to arrive at a decision that makes me comfortable, so I let them sit.

It’s helpful to read your approach to your portfolio, and what works/doesn’t work. My thanks to such a vibrant investing community!

TracyK

23 Likes

I’m reluctant to sell some of my longtime holdings, and that drags down my overall results. I suppose that I don’t have to exit them entirely

Yes, I typically gradually exit positions. It does make the decision to sell a bit easier.

I can’t seem to arrive at a decision that makes me comfortable, so I let them sit.

Tracy,

To fight analysis paralysis or overwhelm, what about starting with NFLX? Even reducing it just by just 15% or 20% would make you a lot less dependent on it. Maybe a small sell wouldn’t be too uncomfortable.

Just an idea. 19% is a lot for one volatile stock.

Bear

Chris and Bear,
Thank you, and you’re so right - I can start small. Bear, one idea that I’ve been noodling is to sell 5% of NFLX for the next 3 months. It’s funny how human emotion enters into a decision. In 2007, I bought NFLX for the split adjusted price of $7.75 - it’s like watching your daughter grow into a world class 200M runner (wait, that was my goal!). It’s hard to let go. However, I ask myself: can I reasonably expect NFLX to continue to grow 30% at an annual clip? Or BRK-B? Or COST? Or…

I already have a hefty cash cushion, and I’m ready to investigate further MKTX, WD, CMB, TLND, MTNF, and MIDD.

Off to run…of course!
~TracyK

2 Likes