Ukraine uses new artillery to hit key bridge

F-22 are air-to-air fighters. They are only as good as the mounted weapon systems. Are US long range AA missiles longer range and more accurate than Su-xx systems? I don’t know. Ukrainian pilots are scared to death of these long range missiles based on after-action-reports.

Sidewinders? No one is going to get that close. That is 5 miles tops. I wonder why we still make them (except to sell to foreign allies).

Harpoons are air to ship missiles. I don’t think the Russian navy is involved.

I reread all the posts in this thread. I do not believe anyone here knows anything about AFU/RUS interactions and weapons. I am still current enough to have worked with most everything employed.

I have no idea about the hypersonics. And Russia recently started using new guided bombs even the pentagon didn’t know about.

But I have not read anything in this thread to make me believe any of those posts were written by anyone with current weapons capability and tactical knowledge.

I haven’t seen the board turn this gray since the great purge.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen the board turn this gray since the great purge.

My fault. Sorry. I enjoy this stuff.

I reread all the posts in this thread. I do not believe anyone here knows anything about AFU/RUS interactions and weapons. I am still current enough to have worked with most everything employed.

I have no idea about the hypersonics. And Russia recently started using new guided bombs even the pentagon didn’t know about.

But I have not read anything in this thread to make me believe any of those posts were written by anyone with current weapons capability and tactical knowledge.

Great. Let’s check back in two months and see if Russia is as powerful as you say they are.

1 Like

Yes, B-29s are still flying and used now to launch a dozen or two cruise missiles from 500 miles away from enemy territory. Upgraded engines and electronics systems.

A-10s are mothballed. No longer in use.

Of course the F-35 is full stealth. Why design a modern fighter without stealth?

This is not an air war…for the most part.

t

2 Likes

F-22 are air-to-air fighters…Sidewinders? No one is going to get that close…Harpoons are air to ship missiles. I don’t think the Russian navy is involved.
And you’re entirely missing the point (like a couple others around here often do), probably intentionally. All I did was grab a couple of well-known names to use as an example of things that have not needed resupply because we haven’t used any of them in Iraq/Afghanistan, nor have the Ukrainians used them in their own fight. Of course, the way you’ve been going “X is fact because I say so” is awfully reminiscent of someone else whose name must not be mentioned, as well as a former troll who finally got banned entirely by the Fool because everyone got sick of dealing with his posts.

5 Likes

Of course the F-35 is full stealth. Why design a modern fighter without stealth?

“Stealth is the cost of entry to any modern battlespace” “And it does not matter how amazing the internal sensors, and avionics, and electronic warfare capabilities is. The aircraft’s radar signature is noisy.”
Heather Penney (senior resident fellow at the Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies)
Critique of the F-15 Eagle II

The F-15 Eagle II can be detected at 100 miles by traditional radar.
The F-35 can not be detected by traditional radar until it is within 15 miles.
The F-35 can be detected by passive radar, however with limitations keeping the signal.

The F-15 Eagle II with its giant payload is only effective after you and alleviated radar sources completely along its vector.

2 Likes

Ukraine was the 3rd best military on the earth (Russia, US, Ukraine).

You’ve got the order wrong.

It’s US (because we’re technologically superior on land, sea and in the air), Russia (because of its size) and Ukraine (because of its size).

WRT Ukraine vs. Russia it seems size doesn’t matter all that much :wink:

Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.
You will be able to recommend 9 more posts today. (explain this)

Dang it! I'm almost out of recs for today and you're making me use'em up.

US/NATO is very weak in the full scale arms department.

For every fighter plane that Russia can sortie, the U.S. and NATO can put up 1500 fighters.

Tru dat!

The Russian bear is a paper tiger. Paper Bear?

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Russian+Paper+Bear&go=Sear…

1 Like

Timothy Snyder, author of the book “Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin”, view of the Ukraine War.

The State of the Russo-Ukrainian War
The TELLMES tell us that Russia is losing
Timothy Snyder
July 26, 2022
https://snyder.substack.com/p/the-state-of-the-russo-ukraini…

8 Likes

So, here we are 10 months later. The Great Russian Unstoppable Juggernaut?

4 Likes

My Ukrainian soldier friend was just rotated out of current combat and, after a short celebratory visit with family, put into training to run advanced communication command systems for what is coming next.

My Russian soldier friend (he was caught and drafted before he could escape to the border) has survived the last months and managed to get a message surreptitiously relayed to me. He is convinced he will probably die soon, or if lucky will merely be crippled and sent home.

From what I read/view (I especially recommend Professor Snyder, General Hodges, Vlad Vexler, Denys Davydov) the imbalance in morale is staggering.

david fb

5 Likes

Outstanding article about Ukrainian Defense Minister Oleksii Reznikov in Yahoo News (of all places) today. Related to your comment:

“The Americans who have been training our recently mobilized forces say that in three weeks they attain a level of combat readiness that it normally takes American trainees three months to achieve,” Reznikov says.

I’ve read similar reports about Ukrainians quickly mastering their training in other countries. Ukrainians are intensely motivated. We should keep this compressed training timeline in mind when discussing providing them with other systems, like fighter aircraft. It won’t take 18 months (or whatever the number is).

2 Likes

thanks for the link to Reznikov article. Try comparing Reznikov to any of a number of possible but chaotic Russian equivalents.

david fb

1 Like