Use of stock screeners to find new investments

I think I’ve created a thread on this before, but looking for some more feedback. IIRC, Saul gets most of his picks from stocks that were recommended by any of TMF services, and then does his due diligence and tries to pick the best. Has anyone had much success using stock screeners to find stocks that aren’t yet TMF recommendations?

Here are some of the screeners that I like:

Finviz.com - completely free, with quite a few parameters to choose from.

Prophet Charts - free if you sign up for an account, even if you don’t put anything in it, at the thinkorswim platform. If you like day trading based on chart activity, this one is pretty good.

Unclestock.com - free, used it a few times, but haven’t tried using it extensively yet.

StockFetcher.com - paid if you want full access I think. Extremely versatile as you can use code to search for pretty much any criteria you want.

4 Likes

I’ve mostly given up on stock screeners. I look for fast growing stocks based on the stock price performance. When I find one I analyze the business model and, if I like it, I add the stock to my growth wish list waiting for the right time to buy it.

My method is chart intensive.

Denny Schlesinger

3 Likes

Hi Welgard,

I use a simple screen every once in a while just to see if anything interesting comes up based on PEG>1, RevGr>25%, EPSGr>25%. E-trade (and I assume most brokerage firms) provide this free when you have an account. I can save the screens and check them with one button click every once in a while to see if anything new pops up. Finding companies that are not on most people’s radar yet is kind of fun, I think.

Here is today’s results:

AMAG
AVHI
ETFC
ESNT
GHL
HDSN
TREE
LGIH
LKQ
PNFP
PHM
SWHC
SUPN
UCP
WLH

That is how I found ESNT, but I mostly use the various Fool recs as a starting point.

DT

1 Like

Uh, PEG<1…