Wider implications of Russian invasion

DH and I watch a lot of news programs about the Russian invasion of Ukraine on YouTube. Two caught my attention tonight. I wish I could find the links but I’ll describe them.

1. Russian planes violated Swedish airspace this week. The discussion involved the concerns of Sweden and Finland about the potential for Russian invasion. This could make those countries more likely to apply for NATO membership, which would in turn cause Russia to become more hostile. The approach of NATO to Russia’s border is the main excuse for Russia invading Ukraine.

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/instit/annceresult/annceresul…

1. An interview of a retired head of NATO’s military command. He grimly pointed out that Russia is using old-style heavy metal (not drones or cyber war) to over-run Ukraine. He thinks that NATO should reinforce the entire eastern border of NATO (from the Baltic States to Romania) with hundreds of thousands of troops and plenty of heavy conventional weaponry. A return to the Cold War, a very costly endeavor.

Wendy

3 Likes

Russian planes violated Swedish airspace this week.

============================================

STOCKHOLM, March 2 (Reuters) - Four Russian fighter jets briefly entered Swedish territory over the Baltic Sea on Wednesday, the Swedish Armed Forces said, sparking a swift condemnation from Sweden’s defence minister.

Two Russian SU27 and two SU24 fighter jets briefly entered Swedish airspace east of the Swedish island of Gotland in the Baltic Sea, Sweden’s Armed Forces said in a statement, adding that Swedish JAS 39 Gripen jets were sent to document the violation.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/swedish-armed-forces-sa…

Jaak

P.S. - Sweden on Sunday said it would send military aid, including 5,000 anti-tank weapons to Ukraine, the first time since 1939 that Sweden has sent weapons to a country at war.

2 Likes

An interview of a retired head of NATO’s military command. He grimly pointed out that Russia is using old-style heavy metal (not drones or cyber war) to over-run Ukraine. He thinks that NATO should reinforce the entire eastern border of NATO (from the Baltic States to Romania) with hundreds of thousands of troops and plenty of heavy conventional weaponry. A return to the Cold War, a very costly endeavor.

================================================

Here is the link you wanted:

Christiane Amanpour speaks with former Republican senator and former Defense Secretary William Cohen about the U.S. response to Putin’s war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_TrMCRlvvs

Cohen says USA should put Division level heavy armored forces in each of the Baltics, Poland, and Romania. A Division is made up of 10,000 to 15,000 soldiers.

Jaak

1 Like

The approach of NATO to Russia’s border is the main excuse for Russia invading Ukraine.

This is a Russian talking point. The last time NATO expanded closer to Russia was in 2004.

Finland and Sweden should join NATO immediately and yes, we should spend whatever it takes to fortify the NATO border in Europe. Not as a provocation, but as a common sense defensive measure. Not making NATO stronger at this moment will do absolutely zero to deter Putin from further aggression.

4 Likes

2. An interview of a retired head of NATO’s military command. He grimly pointed out that Russia is using old-style heavy metal (not drones or cyber war) to over-run Ukraine. He thinks that NATO should reinforce the entire eastern border of NATO (from the Baltic States to Romania) with hundreds of thousands of troops and plenty of heavy conventional weaponry. A return to the Cold War, a very costly endeavor.

Wendy

Welcome to pre-November 9, 1989.

To think people and notably US politicians complained that all of the NATO nations tried to reduce some of their costs after the Wall came down?

Tim <former Cold War Warrior on Land, Sea and Air>

Note: Breaking News Russia shuts down independent media as Putin clamps down.

1 Like