Audio on one tab stops when I switch tabs

Hi,
If I have audio playing on one tab in Chrome and I switch to another tab, the audio stops. Anyone know how to stop this from happening? Like what if you are listening to music on one tab and want to continue listening while working on other tabs?
Thanks, RB

1 Like

Hi RB.
In your browser by your name ICON there should be 3 dots. Click on that and go to settings, click on that., go down to system, click on that, turn on continue running background apps. That should fix it, let us know if it doesn’t.

Andy

2 Likes

The continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed is already on.
But I’m not closing Chrome per se, just changing tabs.

3 Likes

Rather than open a new tab, I’d open a new window. Make the one with the music as small as possible, stick it in a corner, then do your work and whatever other tabs you need in another window. Works for me, but might not for you, you never know.

2 Likes

Nope. As soon as I move off the the new window at all, the audio stops.

Ok RB try this. Maybe your computer doesn’t have enough memory. Stay in setting and go to the performance tab and click memory saver off.

Andy

I thought of one more thing RB. Open a Tab and go to youtube.com and start one of the video’s. Go to another tab and see if you can still hear the video running. Does it shut off too? It could be that the site is what is causing the problem.

Andy

1 Like

Youtube works fine. I guess it’s the site I was on! Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi @RBMunkin,

I use Firefox on a Linux system with multiple desktops. I regularly listen to and/or watch videos/live streams.

I have 8 different desktops open and normally with a Firefox window open on 2 or 3 of the desktops.

I can open and use other tabs in Firefox without interfering with the audio.

If I have a audio/video/live stream running, I continue to here it while on that desktop but using a different window/application or if I move to a different desktop.

If I have a video/live stream running in "pane or panel mode’, that panel will follow me to any screen that has Firefox open. If the screen has Firefox running but it is in ‘icon mode’, the panel will not display on that screen but I still hear the audio portion.

Just now I ran a video on one screen on Youtube. While that was running, on a different screen, I started another video on IMDB. I could hear both videos just fine, although confusing listening to both at the same time.

Might be a Chrome thing.

Does that help you?

Gene
All holdings and some statistics on my Fool profile page
https://discussion.fool.com/u/gdett2/activity (Click Expand)

2 Likes

Gene has it. Looks like Chrome has been changing a lot of things around. I tried a few things but they didn’t work so I started running more video’s out of Firefox instead of chrome.

Andy

1 Like