Google Finance Portfolios disappearing?

“Google Finance is under renovation. As a part of this process, the Portfolios feature won’t be available after mid-November 2017. To keep a copy, download your portfolio.”

Not sure what the next experience will look like, but just in case, what do other folks like/use?

3 Likes

I’ve never used Portfolios, but I’ve used Sheets (similar to Excel, if you’re not familiar) and used its GOOGLEFINANCE function to track price, P/E, 52-week highs, etc.

My understanding/assumption, based on some other posts they’ve made, is that while Portfolios is disappearing, the underlying GOOGLEFINANCE function is not.

So when they advise a download, I’d do just that, and just transpose your data into a Google Sheet. Without knowing how GP’s are structured, it’s entirely possible that downloading will make it a Sheet, and there’s nothing left for you to do. But my understanding is that GOOGLEFINANCE functions should remain.

Not sure what the next experience will look like, but just in case, what do other folks like/use?

Quicken works for me- at end of day–Tracks all portfolios collectively or separate after the 4:20 run-off for closing prices.

My broker is TD Ameritrade and during the day I can track my portfolios with a mouse click as often as I want. I mean enough to drive you crazy if that’s all you want to do. In addition, their Think or Swim trading platform will also track what you want and even accommodate you if you want to do 400-500 trades a day.

good luck
b&w

I started out with a database in the early 1990s. That has grown into a php-MySQL web app that runs both on my server and my laptop. It tracks all my accounts, stock market, banks, credit cards.

Anyone who has Office can easily set up a simple Debit/Credit database. Don’t use a spreadsheet because you run the risk of losing data, the database is safer and more to the purpose of tracking transactions.

I do have “portfolios” in Yahoo and Seeking Alpha but only to track daily prices and news. I don’t enter any position data in them.

Denny Schlesinger

2 Likes