How can I get Windows to stop defaulting to the blasted OneDrive?

Every time I save something from almost any program, it defaults to OneDrive. I almost NEVER want to save anything there. How can I change this?

3 Likes

Google is my friend, or at least tries to be. There are some solutions here, but I’m not sure which one I want to use:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/how-do-i-get-windows-11-to-stop-saving-everything/dcfb1aed-bc75-4d72-af11-2ce072da5357

1 Like

I’ve been changing it to My Documents. Manually. Each and every time. Over and over and over.

1 Like

That’s the procedure I use.

I am a Mac user and our system/interface is different. But here is a link with image that may work.

How to Change Microsoft Office 2016 Default Save Locations | Columbia College Information Technology.

Try this g0,

In the search dialogue in the taskbar type storage. Then storage settings should come up click on that. Then click on Advanced storage settings. Click on where new content saved. That will give you where everything is saved. Hopefully you can change it from there. I have mine all set to local disk C:

Andy

2 Likes

Sadly, this didn’t work. Mine were already all set to my C: drive. “OneDrive” nowhere to be found here.

2 Likes

That might work for MS Office apps, but I don’t use those and the OneDrive default is getting used for just about everything.

How about this g0, right click n one drive in the tray. Click the gear box in upper right. Click on settings. Turn screen shots and photos off. Click on Manage backup and turn everything off. Click on advanced settings and turn everything off. See if that helps.

Andy

1 Like

At this point I’m not even signed into OneDrive (it’s not connected), yet the “Quit OneDrive” option is still available? I don’t get it.

But I clicked on “Quit OneDrive” anyway, and it did something., but OneDrive is still present as a folder:

And saves still default to locations there. I give up.

1 Like

Now this process of disconnecting and having the system reconnect also happened to me on my Mac. For us there is a OneDrive Application. After disconnecting, I deleted the Application and all has been well.

Obviously if you have stuff in OneDrive this is not an option.

Finally I did find again for my Mac, there were fundematlly different solutions depending on the Mac version of Office. Office 2016 different from Office 365 Different from Office Student version.

1 Like

I have nothing in the OneDrive folder that I care about (only stuff that gets put there accidentally or unbeknownst to me) but I’d be fine it it continued to exist. I just don’t want it to be the default save location for everything!

1 Like

Getting tired of this thread. Try this:

• File Folder
  • Navigate to Documents Folder
  • Highlight document you are interested in and open it
  • File
  • Save As
  • Under “Other Locations” highlight “This PC”
  • Under Documents type in the name your have given the document
  • Click on “Save”

Regards,
ImAGolfer (retired 2003)

List item

2 Likes

You’re getting tired? Yes, I know how to change where a document or other file gets filed. My point is that I have to do that every time because it always defaults to a folder in OneDrive. Unless you’re trying to say something else I should be doing.

3 Likes

I expect there is a application name OneDrive somewhere on your Windows Computer. It is a standard part of Office installations in the Mac world and I expect in the Windows world. Find it, Quit that program and delete the EXE file.

That should solve your issue. If you want a backup position to undo this, just rename the EXE file. (For years when wanted to keep a backup position, I just change the file extension to my initials. Makes it easy to find and undo.)

1 Like

Ok, thread closed. I guess it’s really only the Snippy app that seemed to default to OneDrive. Indeed it does, because that’s where the initial image is saved. You can then “Save as” elsewhere. Sorry to waste everyone’s time. Nothing more to see here.

1 Like

Uhmmm… It wasn’t a waste of my time.

:slightly_smiling_face:
ralph

1 Like

Good because I was going to ask you if you did a restart? :rofl:

Andy

1 Like