OT: I don't think I'll be back

After a very long journey with MF and familiar names, I will probably not be participating in the new community. Been here since 1997 when we were on AOL.

It is sad day but wish you all a safe and prosperous future.

GD_

14 Likes

I will miss your nice posts. Good luck.

After a very long journey with MF and familiar names, I will probably not be participating in the new community. Been here since 1997 when we were on AOL.

It seems that some people don’t understand the change. (I hope I do). They are “migrating the boards to a new platform”. So “the boards”, this board among them, are migrating not disappearing. A “new platform” means a new looks, hopefully some good new features, with the same content. When you return here in a week, hopefully, you will still have the same account, the same list of favorite boards, and the active boards will still provide access to all their old content. This is not the apocalypse. I can’t imagine that TMF would invest in a new platform if they wanted to destroy this community. But they sure could do a better job of explaining things.

BWDIK?

Elan

30 Likes

Hopefully they’ll add a decent search function. That is the biggest single thing the current boards are missing.

6 Likes

fwiw, the new experience is built on Discourse. I’m not super familiar with the “typical Discourse” experience, so I’m not sure how much ours aligns or deviates. But, it’s seems to have been well received on the boards where migration has already taken place from what I’ve gathered. I personally haven’t used them much as MI is my primary home on the current boards.

-barry
TMFQue

4 Likes

“Hopefully they’ll add a decent search function. That is the biggest single thing the current boards are missing.”

Agree! Call me an old break-wind, but not a big fan of change even though current platform is not perfect. Let’s hope it will be a real positive and not play out like “New Coke” in the 80s :slight_smile:

Hopefully they’ll add a decent search function. That is the biggest single thing the current boards are missing.

I’d add to that the ability to edit your own posts.

3 Likes

the ability to edit your own posts.

Only within a few minutes of submitting the post. No going back days or weeks or months to change history.

Well, we’ll see. We are off on a trip, the new boards will be up when we get back.

5 Likes

I watched all their user videos for the new site, read the introduction and browsed some of the new posts. Some things look very promising. You can post new subjects with subject tags, search posts based on subject, even I believe across boards, insert graphs and photos, edit your post after submittal for a short period, can’t send a personal post to an individual. A lot of new nice features . . . but I’m still very much confused about the overall organization, free vs paid sites, and if we can or cannot get to our old posts. New users generally seem to like it but say there is a learning curve.
Here’s hoping for the best!

RAMc

7 Likes

A participant on Improve the Fool wrote the following, which sounds s/w promising:

So I just went onto one of the migrated boards, a paid board of course. It has messages from when the board was created in November of 2006. I don’t believe the open boards are to be treated any differently.

In an earlier post on that board, CMFMints had written the following:

Closed boards will not be migrated. So, yes, if there is any information you want to keep off of a board in the old system, you should do that before the end of October (tentative date for closing this system but better to do it now than expect that date moves out)

I would scan through both closed and open board posts that you might have saved just to make sure but you will have time after the migration to save things.

I asked her if she could clarify a bit about the migration of historical posts from open boards, but she did not reply. I guess it will become clearer in a few days…

2 Likes

fwiw, the new experience is built on Discourse

Discourse is amazing, my favorite platform. Going to Discourse is very exciting and will be a huge step up.

5 Likes